What is Back Pain?”
Back Pain includes any discomfort you feel in the Lumbar Spine of your back, but may go up the spine to include your Thoracic Spine also. The pain may range from a dull aching sensation, to sharp severe pain, to electric nerve pain, to pain with movement/ twisting that makes getting out of bed impossible.
There are two basic types of back pain: acute and chronic.
“What is Acute Back Pain?”
Acute Back Pain is a short-term pain condition resulting from an injury or accident that lasts anywhere from a few days to up to 6 weeks. Most back pain is acute, But can convert into Chronic Back Pain if Not Treated Correctly.
“What is Chronic Back Pain?”
Chronic Back Pain refers to back pain that lasts 6 or more weeks. This type of pain may develop after your acute back pain injury does not resolve from an underlying degenerative condition.
If you suffer from chronic back pain and have tried multiple treatments, medications, surgeries, or even different doctors without getting relief, “We Can Help You!” So, please schedule a consultation with The Spine Experts at OrthoMed Pain & Sports Medicine so we can “Find-It and Fix-It” for You Too.
“What Causes Back Pain?”
Most back pain develops from a mechanical problem that affects the structure and function of your back and spine. Some of the Most Common causes include:
- Sacroiliitis -> LBP
- Sprains and strains -> LBP
- Herniated or bulging discs -> Radicular Leg Pain (Does Not Lead to LBP!)
- Arthritis -> Back Pain, at or Above Belt Line
- Degenerative disc disease -> Back Pain, at or Above Belt Line
- Spinal nerve compression -> Radicular Leg Pain (Does Not Lead to LBP!)
- Sciatica -> Electric Pain FromPosterior Buttocks to Back of Knee
- Spinal stenosis -> Radicular Leg Pain (Does Not Lead to LBP!)
- Vertebral compression fractures Severe, Pinpoint, Spastic Pain at One Level
- And… “Fibromyalgia” (Yes! Some doctors actually attribute LBP to fibromyalgia, which means “They Don’t Know What It Is…”)
- REMEMBER - “Pinched Nerves Do Not Cause Back Pain!” (The nerves go to your legs, Not Your Back…)
So if your Back Pain Includes Burning, Numbness, or Tingling Leg Pain, your Spinal Nerves May Be Involved.
OrthoMed Pain & Sports Medicine Specializes in Conservative, Interventional, and Regenerative Treatments to Ease Your Pain Without the Unnecessary Drugs or Surgeries… “Easy Peasy!”
Although it’s not always easy finding the underlying cause of chronic back pain, it is for us.
We will Find the Underlying Source of Your Pain and “Get You The Relief You Need, and Deserve.”
“What can I expect during a Back Pain Consultation?”
“Our Full Attention, Comprehensive Evaluation, Effective Treatments, and Great Results!”
You can expect a comprehensive review and exam including the initial chart review, thorough physical exam, proper diagnostic tests to uncover the exact underlying cause of your back pain, and Specific, Effective, and Proven Treatments to “Get You Back To Your Life.”
“Can a Pinched Nerve Cause Back Pain?”
A “Pinched Nerve” is a description usually utilized by an Orthopedic Surgeon or Chiropractor who is trying to justify a series of treatments or surgery, to “relieve the Low Back Pain.”
First, the anatomy and terminology are just plain wrong the Body has a Natural Nerve Distribution Pattern, commonly called a “Dermatome,” and if you Follow the Dermatome of the Spinal Nerves, They Go To the Legs, Not the Back!
Hence, If a “Spinal Nerve is Pinched” (aka - Radiculopathy), you will Not Experience Back Pain…It Goes to Your Legs!
This is a Common Medical Myth that has been erroneously used for decades, and has resulted in substandard outcomes, unresolved with many failed surgeries, which then end up Calling Dr. Cole to Assist With Their Failed Surgery Syndrome… Also one of Dr. Cole Specialties.
“How is Back Pain Treated?”
It Depends… We Do Not Use a “One-Size Fits All” Approach, as All Patients Need Individual Care, Based on our Individual Problems, Disorders, Needs, and Budget.
The OrthoMed Pain & Sports Medicine Team creates individualized, comprehensive, multidisciplinary treatment plans for back pain. Our Experts Board Certified Physicians utilize ”Conservative, Interventional, and Regenerative Medicine Treatments” to Reduce Pain and improve function, for all musculoskeletal and neuro diseases and disorders, but without the unnecessary drugs or surgeries…
Treatment options are recommended and ordered Only As Indicated, and may include:
- SI Joint Injections (for LBP)
- Gluteal Muscle or Nerve Blocks (for LB/ Gluteal Pain)
- Sciatica Nerve Block (for Electric Nerve Pain down Legs)
- Caudal Epidural Steroid Injection (for Radicular Leg Pain)
- Facet joint injection (for Standing/ Walking Above the Belt Pain)
- Medial Branch Blocks followed by Nerve Ablation (average 3-5 years pain relief!)
(for Standing/ Walking Above the Belt Pain)
- Lumbar Transforaminal Epidural injection
- Sciatic solution treatments (for Sciatic Pain Resolution)
- Osteopathic Manipulative Treatments to Balance the Muscles, Tissues, and Bones ( for Any and All Unbalanced, Painful, or Restricted Motion)
- Personalized and Custom-Fit Supports, Braces, and Ambulatory Durable Medical Equipment (DME when indicated)
FYI: For Interventional Pain Management Treatments, Our Expert Team uses Fluoroscopic or Ultrasound Guidance for Perfect Placement Every Time.